Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Home Sweet Home

 Growing up I was positive that I did not inherit any part of the decorating gene from my mother, who is a wonderful decorator. Our home always looked beautiful, like something out of a magazine. It wasn't until about a year ago that I realized that watching her all those years must have rubbed off on me. I would NEVER consider myself a professional, and I wouldn't want to make a living at it, but it's a hobby that I really enjoy. I love whites and grays, with touches of gold and pink. I would best describe my style of decor as "girly shabby-chic". 


I would like to show you a few of my favorite spots in my apartment, along with a few pieces of furniture that I turned from broken to beautiful. I know....very clever.


First off is my little breakfast area. I bought this table and chairs for $65 and re-painted it all using white Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. It only took a few hours to do and I LOVE the result. 

Recently, my grandma gave me this table that is originally from Kirkland's. However, the color of it was just too dark for my liking. I decided to take my trusty can of gold spray paint and spray the iron legs, and then paint the top of the table with the white Annie Sloan chalk paint. I was very pleased with the way it turned out!

No, I did not sew the comforter or make the pillows (although learning to make pillows is on my to-do list), but how could your bed NOT be one of your favorite places in your home??  I did however, make the sequin "B" on the wall. If you would be interested in seeing a tutorial on how to make one, leave me a comment and let me know!

It's not your typical nightstand, but I love the way this versatile piece from IKEA looks sitting next to my bed. Once upon a time this was used for storing fabric, and then I used it to organize my massive scarf collection, and now its a nightstand! 

Last but not least is one of my favorite areas in my living room. Believe it or not, I bought this IKEA love-seat off of Craigslist for $60. It was pretty dirty from sitting in someone's garage, but it was only used for a few photo shoots and had hardly been sat in! I spent all night cleaning it with Scotchgard upholstery cleaner, let it air dry overnight, and it looked brand new the next morning! 

Even if we don't have the same style, I hope this gives you a few little ideas to spice up your own home. Decorating your home or apartment doesn't have to cost a fortune. But no one else has to know that!!



XOXO,
Brittani








3 comments:

  1. I'm in love with EVERYTHING. I just told my husband I wanted our room to have gold in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. You definitely inherited your momma's creative gene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the sweet shout out babe! I never thought ya'll noticed the house growing up, nice to know! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete