Monday, July 6, 2015

Our Story


used to laugh when people asked how we met, and cough and mutter Match.com under my breath. Now I'm proud to admit it and have my fingers crossed for a spot on one of their commercials. However, it definitely didn't start out that way. The first date I went on was a disaster. I definitely ran into some characters after that, you'll have to ask me about them sometime. But after going on a few weird dates, I decided that Match wasn't for me. I deleted my account and chose not to date for awhile. I had decided to devote my time to being a mommy, and I was absolutely content with that. But a few months later, something urged me to give it one more try. I decided to give it a month, and be done if nothing happened. A few days later, I noticed that a very cute "baseball guy" had viewed my profile. Eventually we began texting back and forth, and I immediately remember thinking that there was something different about this guy, compared to the others I had met. After talking for a few days, he asked me if I would like to go on a date with him, and I obliged. He offered to pick me up and I declined. "I really don't want to die" I told him, "you could be a serial killer for all I know." He laughed and replied, "Well I'm not a serial killer, but that's very smart. I would hope that my own daughter would do the same." The truth was, I wasn't worried about him being a serial killer. I just wanted my own car, in the event that I needed an out....


We met at Luke, a fancy restaurant in downtown San Antonio. I honestly had high hopes for our date, but very low expectations based on past experiences. I remember walking down the street, not one bit nervous like I had been for other dates. But as soon as I walked in and saw him standing there, my stomach did a 180. We laugh about it now, but I remember thinking to myself, " Now that's a man..." 


had never been to such a fancy restaurant in my life. I don't remember what I ate, or if I actually ate. We had some nasty "beet salad" and I pretended to like it, because I knew he was going to have to pay a pretty penny for it. But one thing was for sure, we couldn't stop talking. The conversation just flowed, almost like I had met him before. After hours of dinner conversation, we decided to take a walk by the river. After another hour of talking, it was finally time to call it a night. Because he was parked so far away, I drove him to his truck. And unlike the rest of my dates, he didn't try to make a move. He told me that he enjoyed the evening and that we would talk very soon. 


Well, one date led to a second, and a second led to a third. I started to become anxious about opening up about my past. He knew that I was divorced and had a child, but he didn't know the details of my painful past. He didn't know the pain that I still felt and the many scars that I had. I was afraid that he would run once he knew. I was afraid that it might be too much to handle, and I would understand if it was. But he didn't.

 

The first few months of dating were great. We learned more about each other, and had a blast on dates. But as time went on, I could feel myself building walls around my heart, I didn't want to get too close. I didn't want to let him in. I told myself that if I fell in love, I would risk feeling hurt and heartbreak again. My heart was too fragile, and to let those walls down would be a risk I didn't want to take. So I broke up with him, multiple times. He had every right to move on, to say that I was crazy. Most men would have done just that. But he understood what I was going through, and he was patient. Slowly, brick by brick he helped knock down those walls, until my heart was capable of love again. He spent many days and nights, holding me while I cried. He was there the second I needed him. He helped my heart heal in a way that I will never be able to thank him enough for. I once asked him why he stayed, when he had plenty of chances to run. And he said, "Because I could feel God telling me not to let her go..."



will always remember this moment that I had, sitting at my sewing table late one night in the middle of the biggest struggle of my life. I had been crying out to God, saying "Why me God? Everything has been taken from me, surely you have a better plan for me?" I can still remember the calm I felt moments later, and it was as if God had wrapped his arms around me saying "Yes child, be patient." I held on to that promise, and I believe that he is nothing short of an answer to that prayer. He is patient, loving, caring, and kind. He is a wonderful father, and accepts my baby as his own. He is a respectful, humble, man of God. He's a shoulder to cry on, the one who makes me laugh, and he treats me like me like a Queen. He believes in me even when I don't. And I never thought I would find someone like him. 





Two nights ago, this wonderful man took me back to Luke, got down on one knee, and asked me to spend forever with him. And as I sit here looking down at this beautiful ring on my finger, I want to say that I am proof that our God knows exactly what he is doing. He's not a stranger to our future, and only He knows what's best for us. I'm so thankful that he knows better than I do. As we sat in the restaurant after I said "yes", with tears in my eyes, I raised my hands and said "Thank you God." There is no doubt, OUR GOD IS FAITHFUL. 



It's still all very surreal to me. After a very painful divorce and betrayal, I wasn't sure that I would ever be able to trust again. Afraid that I would never find a man who accepted Carter and I as a package. To find someone who truly loved ME. And I did. OUR GOD IS FAITHFUL.



It's exciting to know that I will be bride once again, but this time things will be different. I want a marriage that is more beautiful than my wedding. Knowing what I know now, it's easy for brides to become caught up in planning the perfect "Pinterest worthy" wedding. They put more effort into the wedding, than they do preparing their relationship for marriage. Don't get me wrong, I want to have a beautiful wedding. But not one that is more beautiful than my marriage. 

To this day, I would not change what I have been through to get to where I am now. I want to be an example to our children of what marriage really is. I know that marriage is not easy. I know there will be times that are hard. But with God as the center of our marriage, I believe that we can make it through whatever this world throws our way. 



Thank you everyone for all of your well wishes, love and support. The love that we have received is overwhelming. To each and every one of you, thank you from the bottom of our hearts!!! 

Stay tuned....... 

Xoxoxo, 

Brittani 












2 comments:

  1. ❤️This and and I ❤️You!!!!!.... So excited for your new life with the man you were meant to be with.... God is so very good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittani, you are a beautiful young woman and I see so much of your dear sweet Momma in you. Tiff was my very best friend for almost my entire childhood and entry into adulthood. I can see from your eloquent post how blessed you were to have such amazing parents and grandparents and an upbringing that reflects the joy it was to have that family! I miss Tiff and so wish we could have remained close and in contact. The last time I saw you in person you were a mere young girl. I'm overjoyed that y'all found each other. May your new life be filled with peace and joy! Congrats to you both. Hug your sweet Mom and those wonderful grandparents (Sandy and Cleo), whom I called my second parents for so long! 💕

    ReplyDelete