Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Angel Gowns

I remember the day that I first saw it, beautifully hanging on the store mannequin. I had been looking for only a few days but I knew I would know what I wanted when I saw it. The consultant took it off the mannequin for me and I slipped into the dressing room to try it on. I walked out of the dressing room and looked in the mirror. It was beautiful. The bodice was entirely beaded, and when the light hit it just right, it sparkled. The corset back and long satin train gave it the elegant "princess" touch that I had always dreamed of. With tears of joy streaming down my face, I said "YES" to my wedding dress.
 

Fast forward a few years and that beautiful dress is tucked away in my closet, in a preservation box, untouched since my wedding day. You don't really think about what you'll do with your "dream dress" after the big day. I always thought maybe I would give it to my daughter, if I had one, although I'm sure she would have her own style and taste when it came her time. But when a marriage doesn't work out, looking back at your wedding dress brings about many mixed emotions. After much thought, I decided I would try to sell it. To be honest, I didn't try very hard. I wanted it to go to the "right" person, and I just didn't feel like I had found that person. Then one night, while at bible study, I brought up my wedding dress. I'm not sure why the topic came up, but there's a reason that it did. 


A good friend of mine began to tell me that her church was collecting wedding dresses to make burial gowns for babies who don't come home from the hospital.  She said that if I wanted to donate it, she would take it for me. Without hesitation, I knew that this is what I wanted to do. To know that my dress, that made me feel so beautiful, would be made into the wedding dress (or tux) that a baby angel would never grow up to wear. I have never lost a baby, and I pray that I never will. But having a younger brother in heaven who was a stillborn, I know that someone like my mother would have appreciated such a gesture. I can only imagine that amongst the grief that the family feels after the loss of their baby, having a gown for them is one less thing that they will have to think about. My prayer is that my gown will help acknowledge how precious that baby's life was. The truth is, like most brides, my dress was worn for maybe a total of 10 hours, and it made me feel beautiful and special during that time. But nothing can compare to how beautiful my dress will look on these precious babies as they greet their Heavenly Father who has called them home. 


I've been asked if I have mixed feelings, or if it's sad for me to let go of my dress. And I can honestly answer that by saying "no". I have to thank my Nannan (my grandma) who bought me the wedding dress of my dreams. I will always be grateful for her love and generosity. The truth is that no one can predict the future, and a failed marriage or not, a dress is just a dress. And if it's in God's plan, I might wear another wedding dress some day. But for now, this dress will serve a much greater purpose than sitting in a box, in my closet, collecting dust. These precious little angels will look more beautiful in their gowns, than I ever possibly could have. 

If you are interested in donating your wedding dress to this wonderful cause, visit nicuhelpinghands.org or email me at wittybritty0413@gmail.com. Very pale colored prom or bridesmaid dresses in colors light blue, light pink and light purple are also accepted. 



Xoxoxo, 

Brittani 




3 comments:

  1. You continue to blow me away! Your Nannan has now gifted many with her beautiful heart that you obviously inherited. It is truly amazing what happens when you quiet yourself to listen to what God is saying. This post will be spread far and wide, I just know it. This organization better be ready for an avalanche of dresses. . ..mine is going out tomorrow! Love you sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post babe. I would like to think that your brother in heaven is proud of his sister and smiling as these angel babies get to meet their Heavenly Father for the first time in these beautiful gowns. I pray you never experience the loss of a child. GOD alone has created in you a beautiful heart and for that I am thankful. May these sweet angels and their families find peace in HIS arms during a bittersweet time. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You my dear are once again .... Selfless. This is such a testimony to your true character....... Your giving heart continues to touch many people.... ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete